Saturday, November 12, 2011

Bristol, 21.-23. October - Street art and Katy B!

Hellooo there!
I'm so sorry I haven't posted anything new recently. I can't seem to remember to write a post whenever I finally have time for it!

So what's been going on.. Well, last time I mentioned I was going to Bristol to meet a friend and to go to a Katy B concert. So; - Bristol blew me away, in every way. First off; the city is so vibrant, it's crazy. I mostly feel like this because of All the street art that's over there. I learned that Banksy, the street artist, is from Bristol, so no wonder the city was packed with graffiti from top to toe.

From the street right below high street and all the shops.
I believe there was a graffiti competition here between the best street artists in Europe,
so all you see is their work.

It was really great to see my friend Therese again as I haven't seen her since the summer! We lived in a hostel while there, or, I lived in two and she in the same one all her stay, and I checked in at her hostel for my second night. It was very hard to get a place to sleep there, some place decent at the least (female dorm...), since the season obviously wasn't over. (That's what the lady in one of the receptions said).

We walked around the city centre mostly and down by the harbourside. It was _so_ nice to relax for a while together with Therese, and the atmosphere was so much different than in Southampton. First of all you could feel the culture really swiping over you, and second the city centre had a lot more to offer than back south. Third, I remember live guitar and keyboard music in the streets while sitting on a bench, just listening and enjoing life. Oh Bristol, I liked you!

I visited the city from Friday to Sunday, and the second day we took a stroll uptown and walked into a a memorable street, Stokes Croft, where magic happens. I mean, not really, but I just felt so at home and so inspired here! This area of the city is very shabby and not particularly pretty, with, I guess, a lot of garbage laying around randomly. But here you could see more of the original street art part of Bristol - the origins. Here's another of my slideshows starting with street art in the city centre to the shabby neighbourhood of Strokes Croft.



I have to mention a café both me and Therese fell in love with in Stokes Craft. Café Kino. This was just a little café hidden on a corner, but a charming place with with lovely ambience, good cappuchinos and lovely home-made kake! We sat there for like an hour, just mezmerized by the street and the people. Artists, retros and simply the core of craft in Bristol. Loved it!

Café Kino on the end of this block.


We took strolls down the hight street and of course payed Cabot Circus a visit - that place is huuuge! We enjoyed Costa coffees and the beautiful weather on a bench in the street while listening to the rythms from a guitar and a keyboard. Oh yes life was good in Bristol, but about to get better.



One of our favourite shops - Urban Outfitters!
I miss that from the US!!

In the evening on Saturday was the long anticipated Katy B concert! Before the concert, we ate dinner in a local irish pub, right by the Bristol O2 Academy, before queuing at 6pm. The doors were to open at 7pm, and we were lucky to be one of the first to get in to the academy, with a long queue forming behind us.


Exciting girls!!

We got in and were lucky again to get some nice places amost in front and almost in the middle, before the scene. Before Katy, there was a line-up with different artists, among them DJ Zinc and P Money, which were both _amazing_!! P Money joined Katy on stage later as well, backing her up on some of her songs. 

When Katy B herself came on stage the atmosphere got Electric, Energic and just Magic! I loved every second of it. And Katy turned out, not only, to be the most down-to-earth person you can meet, as we thought she would be, but she also sang as amazing as we had anticipated ever since we first started listening to her music. 

Here's two clips from the concert - first a clip from Katy's song Whiches Brew, next Perfect Stranger (a featuring Magnetic Man (he wasn't there)):




Katy said herself that she makes music that just makes you feel good, and her tunes are a blend of R&B, dubstep, electronica, pop and house. The whole night we danced to the music along with her and just had an great time.

We checked out some nightlife in Brisol as well, and fell in love with a bar on the harbourside called, guess what, No. 1 Harbourside! A small bar, packed with people, good music and good beer. I absolutely recommend it to everyone visiting Bristol in the future.

Goind down the harbourside.

Sunday me and Therese parted although we really didn't want to. Unfortunately I had school waiting, but Therese was lucky enouth to stay in this great city for a few more days. We're definitely go back together some other time.

That's all about Bristol folks, next awaits a family visit from Norway and a nice little trip to Winchester!

- vic -



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - I'd love to hear what you think!

- vic -